Lord Gyric's Random Thoughts

Random Brain droppings, interesting (to me) things, and general stuff about my life and thought processes. Also, the occasional rant about life and living, and the odd Bawdy song or recipe thrown in for good measure

Name:
Location: Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada

I'm 33 years old, married, have three kids, and am basically a nice guy in wolf's clothing...

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Vegemite

Ok, before I get into the next Pennsic post, I figured I'd take time to talk about Vegemite (tm).

It is brown, foul smelling sludge. I'm given to understand it's the crap left at the bottom of the beer barrels after brewing.

Some whackjob Aussie decided (on a drunken dare, I'm assuming) to eat some of it.

It's salty, yeasty and generally quite digusting looking.

I like it.

It's good on toast, english muffins and apparently bananas. I haven't tried mixing some in to bread or muffins I'm making, but it should provide extra yeasty flavour. I don't know if it's active yeast, but it will be an interesting experiment.

It is also, apparently, nature's best hangove cure. The Aussie boys swear by it, and I believe Sir Gregory recommended it to me for same said thing. I don't often drink, but it will be interesting to try.

My only problem will be finding it when I run out...

5 Comments:

Blogger Krin said...

I'm also told that it is very good with avocado on toast. I may have tried this once and I may have enjoyed it. I can't remember.

Someone once gave me vegemite and tomato on toast. Don't do this, it was just wrong.

Although I generally don't like tomotoes.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Mz. B.Trousers said...

I like it with avacado, sometimes with cheese too, on toast.
Or just with chedder cheese.
Or on toast with a fried egg.

I'll post you some more when you need it - you have my email!


Helene, vegemite pusher to far kingdoms.

5:08 AM  
Blogger Lord Gyric said...

That reminds me, I need a mailing address for one of you...so I can send out a couple of things...

4:28 PM  
Blogger Krin said...

Hmmm, vegemite jaffle with a raw egg cracked into it just as you are cooking. It's fantastic. The egg cooks inside the sandwich, and the vegemite makes it salty.

You need one of the jaffel irons that seals the edges so the raw egg doesn't run out. Adding some cheese is also good.

7:19 PM  
Blogger DV said...

Krin, that is just wrong and unnatural. I don't think you should ever be allowed near vegemite again.

12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home