Lord Gyric's Random Thoughts

Random Brain droppings, interesting (to me) things, and general stuff about my life and thought processes. Also, the occasional rant about life and living, and the odd Bawdy song or recipe thrown in for good measure

Name:
Location: Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada

I'm 33 years old, married, have three kids, and am basically a nice guy in wolf's clothing...

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Movie Review

Ok...as I said, I went to see Cars and Superman Returns.

Cars...what can I say? Fantastic movie...Great for the kids, good jokes for adults, music fabulous, animation wonderful, good cast, great story and hell, it's racing.

I felt that this is a must see and must own. Pixar can't seem to screw things up enough to fail. I don't recall a single movie of theirs I didn't like. (and I should, because my kid will watch each one of the HUNDREDS of times...the last favourite was Toy Story 2...) I recommend this movie to race fans, children, adults and anyone in between. Feel good movie.






On the other hand, we had Superman Returns.

This movie, although I loved it, is an acquired taste.

You have to be a Superman fan to get this movie's subtle jokes and touches. I really liked the way that they used the special effects that were started in Smallville. It's a nice way to keep continuity in the continuum. I also thought the main character had Christopher Reeves' Clark Kent manerisms down so well you sometimes forgot it was a new actor. He looked great as Superman, and wonderful as Clark. I wasn't too keen on Lois at the start, but she did ok.

Now Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor.

Wow.

He always plays a great psycho, but this was inspired casting. I was more than impressed.




The only downfall for me was Parker Posey. She just drives me nuts, I dislike her as an actress and am annoyed just seeing her onscreen. Nothing about her performance, I just don't like looking at her.

My wife fell asleep (as is her want in movies) and missed huge chunks, but wasn't impressed in general. Again, you have to be a hardcore fan to really enjoy this. They made a very good choice in simply continuing the story, instead of re-inventing it...as much as I love seeing what people do when they tell the story anew, (Spiderman, Batman, Hulk, Fantastic Four to name a few) I hate having to sit through the first movie. I dislike first movies of a comic book because they have no choice...they have to do the creation story. As an avid reader of comics in my youth, I already know how they got their powers. Updated for the new millenium, I understand...I just don't like losing half the movie to the power generation story. The second movie is generally better...more action, more story. However, as the Superman myth is so firmly established in our society, it doesn't need to be told again.

I almost forgot. The absolute best part of the whole movie was...the music. I was not only impressed, but absolutely giddy about the fact they DID NOT CHANGE THE THEME MUSIC!!! Superman and related themes from the movies, written by John Williams, is one of the most powerful and recognisable themes ever written...that, Indiana Jones and Star Wars being the most known. (Hmm...same composer, go figure.)


As I say, great movie if you're a hardcore, die hard fan. Ok movie if you like Superman. Poor movie if you don't really know anything about Superman to begin with.

Take what you want out of that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home