Lord Gyric's Random Thoughts

Random Brain droppings, interesting (to me) things, and general stuff about my life and thought processes. Also, the occasional rant about life and living, and the odd Bawdy song or recipe thrown in for good measure

Name:
Location: Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada

I'm 33 years old, married, have three kids, and am basically a nice guy in wolf's clothing...

Monday, August 28, 2006

Pennsic Part 1 of ???

Ok, now that that's finally out of the way, I can start on the Pennsic Memories before they all blur...

The whole family left Fort Erie eventually, about 4 hours later than we planned. (fecal matter occurs...) and hit Pennsic about 6:00 pm. We set up our pop up tent, and wandered a bit to find friends and block members. We met up with Pleasance, how had taken my class last year, and she fed us some soup and stuff in the Barn.

After settling in for a bit, I found out a friend had pooched his bus in the park 'n' ride just off the highway, and needed a ride into Lyndora. So, off came the trailer (and THAT hurt with the hernia) and off to the rescue I go. I never realised how badly we're gypped by the Walmarts in Canada. HOLY crap, those WM's are HUGE!!! It's a full department store PLUS an entire grocery store with fresh meat and produce. I actually almost never needed to shop anywhere else. But anyhoo, bought the radiator fluid he needed, and headed back...bus continued to run, so all is good.

Went to sleep.

Day two:

Up and off to the Barn to meet up with the people on our Block and start the allotment dance. For the first time in History, we WEREN'T the last ones at Pennsic to turn in our map. We were done by 11:30 at the Barn. The earliest we've ever been was like 1:30 or 2:00. Quite an accomplishment.

So we proceeded to start setting up camp. Problems ensued. To describe them, I have to go back a few weeks before Pennsic to fill you in on the History.

We camp with another group, or rather they camp with us. We share all the kitchen stuff like counters and sinks and water heater with them, but a fair portion of that is theirs, which is why we decided to camp with them...to share the equipment and not have to duplicate.

About 2 or three weeks before War, our Matriarch had some life issues arise and was not going to be able to make it. The head of the people we share our camp with, who does not like me personally (and is a terribly vindictive person) decided to offer all her House's equipment to the Barony, which has neither power for the freezer and fridge, nor running water for the shower.

She off-handedly mentioned this to me at an event 2 weeks before we left for War. Apparently, she decided to screw me over, as well as all the other people in the camp to get to me. I'm supposing she figured that if I was the cause of the problems, it would cause me no end of hassle and damage my relations with the other members of my Household.

However, being of a contrary bent, I managed to procure (at some cost) almost everything that she yanked out from under me, specifically the shower. I also was able to procure a used set of taps to retrofit into an old laundry sink for our kitchen. So to all intents and purposes, we were able to deal without anything of hers. (there were a few things, but our Head of Household, how came after all, fought it out with the witch in question.)

So, back to the story...

As we started to set up camp, I put up the tent, and the shower house. Then we ran into the next problem.

We store a fair bit of our equipment down there in a storage locker we share, again, with the other household. The locker is in their name, but we pay into it. When I went to get the key from the person who had it, I was told I was not allowed to go to the locker without him...Orders from above. I was incredibly angry and frustrated as most of the things I needed to set up the camp were in the locker...hoses, electrical cords, freezer, kitchen tent, etc. I was not able to get into the locker until Sunday. So we gave up and went to Fool's Rest for the Slum Lord's Banquet.

Ah, the Slum Lord's Feast...Uncle Justinian throws a party on Saturday night and BBQ's all manner of dead things, and provides both beer and cider. He asks you bring some buns, potentially something to throw on, and/or some dead presidents to help defray. As most people don't have their kitchens really up yet, it's ideal. And you can shoot the shit with old friends and meet new ones.

Sunday was just getting the camp set up and ready so I could leave for a couple days to get the eldest to Camp Grandma.

More to come....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home