Lord Gyric's Random Thoughts

Random Brain droppings, interesting (to me) things, and general stuff about my life and thought processes. Also, the occasional rant about life and living, and the odd Bawdy song or recipe thrown in for good measure

Name:
Location: Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada

I'm 33 years old, married, have three kids, and am basically a nice guy in wolf's clothing...

Friday, March 05, 2010

Anti Americanism and the Bay Beach

I am appalled that the Una-blogger has decided to play the Anti American card.

She's confused. We have stunned the world who thought Canada was just a country of polite, charming people who live in igloos and go to work using dog sleds.

Not only did we SURPASS expectations in the Olympics, we showed an unprecedented, even American level of pride in our Country. This level of national pride is now out of the bottle, and won't be put back anytime soon.

This summer, you will see more Canadian flags on houses, a bigger than ever Canada day celebration, and people actually being vocal about their homeland.

We accept ANYONE who moves here. Even the Una-blogger. We ask that you become a citizen if you want rights to vote, but that's about it.

I don't believe that, not matter WHERE you come from, you have the right to keep MY town a depressed one horse town for your own agenda. Showing up for a couple months does NOT give you the right to tell me that I can't look forward to enjoying growth and opportunities here.

The big problem here is the word taxes. There are TWO kinds of taxes: Income and Property. Property taxes go to providing water, sewer, police and road clearing services. Income taxes are what you pay to allow the governments to function. Paying income taxes is what gives you a say in how your town, where you live most of the time. If I owned a cottage in the Hamptons, I wouldn't expect that I would have any say on how they conduct their business. Even if it included my view, or my perception of what was right. For that matter, the fact that it was in the states wouldn't allow me the luxury of having a say AT ALL.

I'm rambling a bit, but I'm trying to say what I have to say without emotion or the hatred of someone clouding the issue.

I think the point I have to say is this.

You don't want a 12 story tower in your sleepy little cottage town you visit. Fine. Sell your cottage and buy one somewhere else.

You don't want this beach to turn into "Miami Beach North". So? I do. And since I live here full time, my say weighs more than yours.

You don't want the towers, but you live here full time? Fine. You get a say. BUT, you do need to realize the fact that change and progress are inevitable. At least, this way, we can get benefits out of the change and help control it. If a developer buys the property adjacent to it, and decides to put up a 12 story tower, there will be NO amenities, and nothing we can do about that fact.

At least the legislation automatically reverts ANY private beaches to town control (making them PUBLIC) whenever an application is made to rezone those properties. (My personal opinion is that it should be whenever the property is sold.)

I just can't see the downside here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home